The District provides numerous services for its residents, including roads, water, sewer, parks, playgrounds, trails, sports fields, arena, curling rink, aquatics centre, library, and community centre. The District's services are provided by 44 full or part-time employees.
While Elkford continues to have strong economic and social connection to the mining industry, a number of trends will have a pronounced and profound growth influence on Elkford's future:
- modest expansion of community population with anticipated mine employment expansion,
- significantly higher than provincial average income,
- growth of the regional tourism industry, particularly Fernie,
- anticipated long-term expansion of the local mining industry
- exponential growth in mountain property and project investment originating most specifically from Calgary but also including Vancouver and North America.