Planning & Development Services

Planning & Development Services

The District of Elkford regulates and controls building and development within the District. This section provides basic information on development and building requirements. For more specific information regarding a proposed development, please contact the District. Staff can assist in determining which regulations apply to a proposed development.

Forms and brochures are available under the building and development tab on the right.

Official Community Plan (OCP)

The OCP describes the community’s broad objectives around form, character and community life. The bylaw designates the use of land within the District, and also regulates development in eight development permit areas. If a proposed development does not conform to the land use designation, a Bylaw amendment may be requested. In addition, if a proposed development is within a designated development permit area, a development permit may be required prior to any activity commencing. 


The Zoning Bylaw regulates the use of land within the District. It specifies what types of structures are allowed in each zone. The bylaw also includes other regulations such as the size of buildings, how far buildings must be set back from property lines, how high buildings can be, and how many parking stalls are required.

If a proposed development does not meet the zoning bylaw regulations, a Bylaw amendment, or a development variance permit, may be requested.


The Building Inspector reviews applications to ensure that proposed development conform to the District's development regulations, as well as ensuring that the actual construction meets the requirements of the building code. The District of Elkford Building Inspector is available for inspections Monday to Friday; typically 24 hours notice is required for an inspection. Please contact us to book an appointment with the Building Inspector or to request an inspection. 

The District's bylaw regulates the building permit process.

Building Permits are required for:
  • New dwelling units;
  • New structural construction (e.g. verandas, decks, deck replacements, canopies, marquees, additions);
  • Manufactured Home placements and replacements;
  • New accessory buildings/structures constructed over 107 sq. ft and placements of pre-built accessory buildings over 107 sq. ft.;
  • Wood burning appliance installations;
  • Residential and business renovations involving structural and plumbing alterations, change of use of space, secondary suites, or
  • change of occupancy;
  • Temporary buildings/structures (including canvas shelters) for any occupancy/use;
  • Swimming pool structures deeper than 600 mm (24 inches);
  • Demolition of any building or structure;
  • Street occupancy (e.g. public function);
  • Exterior renovations - siding and window/door replacements of same size:
 Per the British Columbia Building Code, as of December 19, 2014, exterior renovations (siding, window/door replacements of same size) now requirea a permit.

Building Permits are not required for:
  • Plumbing repairs (leaks, valves, blockages, fixtures, hot water tanks, etc.);
  • Exterior renovations including roofing, asphalt or concrete surfaces;
  • Interior renovations, finishes, cabinetry and replacement of plumbing fixtures.

Please note the above listed are a brief summary of items and if you are unclear as to when or if a building, plumbing, moving or placement permit is required, please contact the District of Elkford Building Department at 250.865.4003.


The District's Zoning Bylaw regulates the size and placement of signs. A permit is required.

Development Cost Charges

Development Cost Charges within the District are applicable for land that has not had development cost charges paid in the past. If a property is being redeveloped with an increased capacity, development cost charges may apply.

BC Housing

BC Housing is responsible for:
  • licensing residential builders and building envelope renovators province-wide
  • administering owner builder authorizations, and
  • carrying out research and education which benefits the residential construction industry and consumers.

The Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw outlines the requirements for creating parcels of land for sale / use, such as the requirements for water, sewer, curbs, roads, gutters, storm water management.

If a proposed development does not meet the subdivision servicing bylaw regulations, a Bylaw amendment, or a development variance permit, may be requested.